No Photoshop, just Instagram

@chrispytine on Twitter and Instagram

Monday, June 22, 2009

Japanese Survival Phrases

So much for raving about my curls. They "died" before my lover even got to run his fingers through it. I still wouldn't say its a waste though, because at least it didn't seem to have made my hair any frizzier (knowing how such treatments can be ultra damaging). And i haven't done this before so i won't know, maybe soft curls just don't last as long?

Still, i am raving about Japan and having Tokyo withdrawal syndromes.

Here are some phrases to swear by when you visit Japan:

Sumimasen- Excuse me.

Use it for everything. From starting with this phrase before you ask for directions, to asking to be shown a product, to asking to get through.

YMCA Doko Desuka- Where is YMCA?

Korewa Ko Ko desu- Nearby.
Sorewa Soko- Abit further.
Arewa asoko desu- very far

Ikura Desuka- How much is this?
Kaban- Bag
Ku Tsu- Shoes
Ginkoo- Bank

Discounto - self explainatory
Ta Ka- i- Expensive.
Ya Su-i - Cheap I JUST REALISED WHEN MY MALE TRAVEL BUDDY ASKED ME HOW TO SAY PRETTY IN JAPANESE. I TOLD HIM Ya su-i!!I HOPE HE DIDN'T USE IT ON ANY JAPANESE GIRL WHEN HE SPLITTED FROM US.

Ii-e (prounced as E A)- No.

Ja, Kore O Kudasai- I'll take this.

Wakari Masen Nihongo- I don't understand Japanese ( i use this ALOT to stop the salesgirls from talking to you ALOT.I felt rude not being able to reply them. Or i smile foolishly, and they probably think i'm mute/deaf.So i use this powerful phrase. Beats my friend saying VERY SLOWLY in English..." I Doooooon't uuuuuuuunderstaaaaaaaand". They don't understand you either.)

Wa Ka Li Mashitake (prounouced as Mas-Ta) Eego- Do you understand English?

Mo Tsu To Yasuky Shi E Ku Da Sai- Cheaper please (although you hardly use this because there is no culture of barganing in Japan unlike in Thailand or Hong Kong)

Ocha- Tea

Misu- Water

Soo Deska- So I see

Gomeinasai- Sorry (but i realised even if you want to say sorry, the Japanese use sumimasen.)

Ok, i didn't find out how to say "That One" which will be VERY USEFUL. Sometimes pointing is not enough if the item is far from reach. I have a feeling i can use Soko (which means there, that) and point. I used that. Better than to point silently or to point and go urgh urgh urgh?

In general, you can go to Japan knowing nothing but recognising Chinese characters is advantageous because 30% of their characters are Mandarin. Some can speak English vaguely, but most can understand basic words like airport,water,OK!

Japan is rather anti-tourists because their museums have no translations but Japanese, only 20% of restaurants have an English menu. I pointed to a delicious looking picture of meat with bean spourts and rice. Turns out to be pig's liver. Yucks!

I hope that happens to you too. That's the fun in life. The unexpected.

P.S i just realised when i mean survival phrases....they pretty much mean SHOPPING survival phrases. HAHAHA!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...